Friday, April 13, 2012

You Are My Sunshine....

Benjamin went out of town last week and you know what that means....I took on several projects to keep from going out of my mind!

Here is the first project I undertook:

DIY'ed Sunburst Mirror

I really wanted to make this to put over our headboard and I thought this would be the perfect week for that. I used a tutorial I found on Little Green Notebook here. It was a great, a very detailed tutorial so if you want to make one I would follow it and not my blog.

Here is the project in photos. Enjoy!

Trip to Lowes to buy the supplies.

Gluing the pieces together. I used one of her designs for the smaller shims, but came up with my own
for the larger ones. I made them all the same by using the first one as a template. I used masking tape to
hold the pieces together while the glue dried. 


I let all the pieces dry over-night.

My plan for putting it together.

Basic layout before I started putting it all together!










I basically did this the whole way around. I ended up with four pieces that looked like this and
then glued them together. I did all of this over a series of three nights to give them plenty of time to dry.

I was a dumbo and didn't take a picture of the action of this part but here is the glue setting up
on the plywood for the back.

and here is a picture of the mirror drying with a book and weights to hold it all tight and secure.
Again sorry no action picture.

I used these bad boys to hang it. Got them at Hobby Lobby for $2.


I then used the wire to hang it. It holds up to 50lbs and I thought it would be great for
above the bed until I read this.

Oops!
My plan is to take it down before I go to bed tonight just in case. I will hang it back up in the am
and make sure it will hold for 24hrs.


And here it is. I LOVE it! 





I have more plans to hang something else. I will post photos of it all when I am finished along with the other projects I did while Ben was gone.

Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Whoa...that's really cool! You could put like LEDs behind it or something..lol. Hope life is swell.

    ReplyDelete