Tuesday, February 7, 2012

It's Curtains For You...

One of the very few things I don't like about our new house is the opening from our bedroom to the master bathroom. There is no door. There is a door from the sink/tub/shower area to the water-closet so I am thankful for that, but not one from the bedroom to the "getting ready area".

 This would not be a big problem if Benjamin and I were on the same schedule for waking up, but we are not. Especially on Sunday mornings when Ben gets up at 5ish and I don't. So to address this problem my first idea was to do a sliding barn door. Like this:



Cute right? Well realizing that may never happen (cost and time and we also realized we would have to relocate our security panel and well, I just don't want to mess with that.) and wanting something to work for now, I hung up some curtains we had on hand to help for a while.



Ugly right? They are brown with a gold shimmer (think ugly prom dress fabric). Please don't ask me if I bought these curtains myself because then I would have to say yes and lose all my decorating cred. So please just don't ask.

They didn't look so bad before we painted the room (who am i kidding? yes they did) but now (always) they just look awful. Also the tension bar slips from the condensation, messing up my recent paint job. It only seems to happen when I am taking a shower. Ben thinks it is because I take really long hot showers, but I think it's a fluke or a conspiracy. Lets go with that.


Well needless to say we are ready for a change and finding some great fabric at (where else?) IKEA on sale for $6.99 a yard, I decided my first sewing project on my new sewing machine would be curtains (Thanks to Tom & Cindy for my new machine).



First we bough the Dignitet wire hanging kit from IKEA. We strung up the wire on the inside of the bathroom to hide the wire and to make it where we can push the curtains almost completely to the sides. I didn't take a photo of this. It was very easy and sturdy.

I then cut the fabric straight down the middle and began ironing and sewing the edges.


I only included this picture because I love my ironing board cover I bought several years ago off Etsy. It makes ironing a little more enjoyable prettier.  

 Hemming. It's pretty easy. If I can do it so can you!


My new machine has some great preset stiches that I love and decided to use on on the long sides that would be visible. Just to spice things up a bit :)




And here is the shot of the curtains hung on the cable from inside the bathroom.


One picture of the curtains open...


And now closed with the bathroom light on. It doesn't completely block out the light but it diffuses it enough to where it doesn't bother me in the mornings. 




Sew much better right? (hehehe)



1 comment:

  1. Love it! And what a great use of the decorative stitch along the edge.... great idea!

    ReplyDelete